[hobbit] SNMP Alerts

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Sat Feb 19 01:07:53 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:45 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 01:00:23AM +1100, Geoff Steer wrote:

> Sometime later this year, I'll probably look into adding some SNMP
> support to Hobbit, in the form of an SNMP module that can query
> SNMP-enabled devices for status information, thereby integrating
> support for SNMP devices into Hobbit.

Hopefully snmp V3 support...

>  (SNMP has always been somewhat
> of a kludge in BB, you have to craft some ad-hoc script to call
> snmpget or snmpwalk, and parse the output in the script).

Right now I use bbmrtg.pl for this.  mrtg is a fine polling engine, but
it does have scaling issues.  And it really needs to be database driven
and self-reconfiguring.

> When that
> happens, it will probably be pretty simple to implement a native SNMP
> alert mechanism in Hobbit.
>
> But don't hold your breath ... right now, setting up an alert script
> to send out SNMP traps is the way to get something going.

I'm not holding my breath, but would like to eventually see snmp V3
support, which mrtg doesn't have currently, due to limitations of the
perl module they use to poll.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy