[hobbit] pagetype: HOST alerting feature?

Bruce Lysik blysik at shutterfly.com
Fri Feb 18 03:12:41 CET 2005

<snip 'depends' snippet>

Interesting.  So I guess one way to do it would be to have all checks for a given host depend on that hosts conn check.

So if I'm comprehending correctly, this should work:

1.2.3.4 foo #  <http://foo/> http://foo/ smtp depends=(http:foo/conn),(smtp:foo/conn)

In theory, the http and smtp checks would be clear if conn is red, and no alert would be sent for them.  (While an alert would be sent for the red conn check.)

That's pretty cool, but unfortunately doesn't solve the problem I've run into:

I have some hostsA which all nfs mount from hostB.  hostB dies.  Now when hostsA bb clients run its disk check, the df hangs, which causes all those local bb checks to purple in hobbit.  hobbit proceeds to send out five alerts per host (one for each local purple).  In the past, bigbrother would only send out one alert per group of purples.  Is there any way to roll-up alerts like this?

--
Bruce Z. Lysik  <blysik at shutterfly.com>
Operations Engineer