[hobbit] Ext tests/scripts

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Tue Feb 15 15:25:35 CET 2005

I'd like to throw in a vote for platform specific definitions as well.

As the maintainer of over 40 scripts, it is a nice feature in BB to allow me
to rely on pre defined
variables so I don't need to work out which grep I need to use, and be fairly
confident a variable will be available.

Personally, I don't like to rely on what my path will return, it is
challenging to keep path statements consistent.
For security reasons, I always call binaries with the full path if I can.
(Some systems may have /usr/local/bin first, others don't).

I'm okay with hobbit not defining $GREP and friends out of the box, but the
ability to do it for each platform would be very nice.

I've been bitten by the stupid default binaries on Solaris as well.  Some of
us do not have the ability to easily add software to systems (company
policies, change control, laws, etc).

Most of my shell scripts check for pre defined variables, if not set, it
defines what it thinks it should use and posts a yellow warning complaining
about it.

One of the great features of hobbit is the ability to use any BB deadcat
script...

I agree this is mainly a client side issue, but something to keep in mind... ;)

Craig

ps. I agree with the knowledge thought, it looks like hobbit will attract some
talented followers!
--
Big Brother Consulting and Training Services
www.cookitservices.com