[hobbit] Graph Limits

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Feb 10 17:39:37 CET 2005

I have created this functionality with a Big Brother external script
that integrates Big Brother and Cacti. The script is called BigCactus
and it's available on deadcat. I am very new to Hobbit, and I have just
joined the list (I haven't even installed hobbit yet). With that said,
if BB external scripts work in Hobbit, then this should work no problem.
If you already have Cacti installed, you can integrate the two, similar
to that of the bbmrtg mrtg scripts (with the ability to set thresholds,
etc). The only problem currently is that I haven't written much
threshold checking tests (only for Novell servers so far). So by using
this script, it will allow you to go right from the hobbit page to the
cacti page that contains the zoom functionality.

One problem I found with the magnifying glass zoom (if/when someone
begins writing this functionality) is that when you zoom in on the
graph, there is a DHTML layering over the image. This causes problems
when trying to print out the graph in IE, but apparently not firefox,
mozilla, etc.

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com

http://www.bigspring.k12.pa.us/cacti/graph_view.php?action=tree&tree_id=31&leaf_id=408&select_first=true

> click on the magnifying glass and then select in the graph what you
want to zoom

It seems they are also using rrdtool as the back-end, so it shouldn't
be too hard to implement something similar in Hobbit.

For now, I'll leave it "as-is" - but this looks like one of those
"wow" features that are very nice to have when you're trying to
convince someone to use Hobbit :-) So I'll get back to it later,
unless someone else would like to contribute code for it.