[hobbit] out-of-inodes hobbit conn error for all 300 systems

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Dec 17 18:08:57 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:31:42AM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:43:31AM, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:11:18PM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I am running solaris 9. My hobbit is running off of /export/home/hobbit
> > > dir. The `df -i` shows
> > > /dev/md/dsk/d30      1005696 1005005     691  100% /export/home
> >
> > # Delete histlogs from 4 months ago (so we always have the last 3 months online)
> > FNPATTERN=`date --date="today -4 months" +"???_%b_*_%Y"`
> > find histlogs -name "$FNPATTERN" | xargs rm
>
> Excellent. I am slowly moving old logs. I wonder if that will skew my
> monthly and yearly reports.

It should not affect those. The reports and their percentages are
generated exclusively from the contents of the hist/* files, and just
links to the histlogs files for the detailed status.

> I noticed I have about 70000 files under histlogs. Wow!!. I guess would
> be nice to use database instead to store histlogs and make report still
> work. I know there are suggestion out there regarding mysql use to store
> logs.

I dont have any immediate plans for this, but it would be a nice little
project if someone wants to dip into the Hobbit code (hint!). You could
easily turn off saving the file-based status logs (there's a
hobbitserver.cfg setting for that), and a module for storing the status
logs in a DB would be fairly trivial to implement as a Hobbit worker
module hanging off the "stachg" (status change) channel. Apart from
that, there's a simple change to pick the status log from the DB when
viewing it, and that's all.