dhcp clients conn test

Whilding, Craig Craig_Whilding at mentor.com
Fri Dec 16 13:21:37 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a couple of hosts that use dhcp that I want to test through their
windows hostname.

The hobbit server has samba setup so that fping -Ae [hostname] correctly
resolves these windows names.

If I add them to hobbit using

0.0.0.0    [hostname] #

(which I understand is correct for a dhcp address?)

It gives me bbtest-net: Cannot resolve ip for host [hostname] in the
logs and the page in hobbit states DNS lookup failed and says 0.0.0.0 up
for Xms. How does hobbit do the conn test in this situation and is fping
failing to work correctly from inside hobbit?

I'm running 4.1.2p1.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything
in the archives.

Thanks for any help,

Craig Whilding