Problems Getting Graphs to appear

Paul Bury pbury at carsales.com.au
Wed Dec 14 05:20:52 CET 2005

CURRENT:
I have written a custom script that is a COMBO TEST that works out if any of
the tablespaces are close to full and submits either the Green/red or Yellow
status messages along with a comment containing a multi column text report
containing each tablespace name and a variety of data on it including
total_size, amount used and percentage used. This has been working well for
quite a while now on 2 servers with a column name of "otsp".

Recently I wanted to Graph the total sizes of the tablespaces to see trends
in either there growth or fluctuation.

I wrote a script to capture the data and put it into .rrd files, this was
then added to the [larrdstatus] and [larrddata] sections of the
hobbitlaunch.cfg file. using

CMD hobbitd_channel --channel=status --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/larrd-status.log ho
bbitd_larrd --rrddir=$BBVAR/rrd
--extra-script=/usr/local/hobbit/server/ext/grap
h_otsp.sh --extra-tests=otsp

CMD hobbitd_channel --channel=data   --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/larrd-data.log hobb
itd_larrd --rrddir=$BBVAR/rrd
--extra-script=/usr/local/hobbit/server/ext/grap
h_otsp.sh --extra-tests=otsp

This seems to be working fine and I can see that under ~/data/rrd/hostname
directories for the 2 hosts in question I can see .rrd files that reflect
the naming convention i have used "otsp.*.rrd"

I queried one of the .rrd files using :
rrdtool fetch $your.rrd AVERAGE
This returned the sort of results that I would expect for the data stored
(this was installed when we were using BB originally before switching to
Hobbit).

So far all seemed good.

Then I tried to get the graphs to appear on the appropriate detail view of
the otsp page for the hosts in question:

and added otsp to both LARRDS and GRAPHS in hobbitserver.cfg:

LARRDS="cpu=la,disk,memory,conn=tcp,fping=tcp,ftp=tcp,ftps=tcp,ssh=tcp,ssh1=
tcp,
ssh2=tcp,telnet=tcp,telnets=tcp,smtp=tcp,smtps=tcp,pop-2=tcp,pop2=tcp,pop-3=
tcp,
pop3=tcp,pop=tcp,pop3s=tcp,imap=tcp,imap2=tcp,imap3=tcp,imap4=tcp,imaps=tcp,
nntp
=tcp,nntps=tcp,ldap=tcp,ldaps=tcp,rsync=tcp,bbd=tcp,clamd=tcp,oratns=tcp,qmt
p=tc
p,qmqp=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,iostat,netstat,tempe
ratu
re,apache,bind,sendmail,nmailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbpro
xy,h
obbitd,otsp"

GRAPHS="la,disk:disk_part:5,memory,users,vmstat,iostat,tcp.http,tcp,netstat,
temp
erature,ntpstat,apache,bind,sendmail,nmailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen
,bbt
est,bbproxy,hobbitd,otsp"

Also I tried to write the graph definitions in hobbitgraph.cfg

[otsp]
    FNPATTERN otsp(.*).rrd
    TITLE Oracle Tablespace Used
    YAXIS MB Used
    DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:used:AVERAGE
    LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
    -u 16000
    -l 0
    GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST: : %5.1lf (cur)
    GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MAX: : %5.1lf (max)
    GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MIN: : %5.1lf (min)
    GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: : %5.1lf (avg)

Then I restarted hobbit but alas no graphs.

After much searching I found something about changing the entries in the in
hobbitserver.cfg from what I had above to the following and I was clutching
at straws here trying to get it to work:
LARRDS="cpu=la,disk,memory,conn=tcp,fping=tcp,ftp=tcp,ftps=tcp,ssh=tcp,ssh1=
tcp,
ssh2=tcp,telnet=tcp,telnets=tcp,smtp=tcp,smtps=tcp,pop-2=tcp,pop2=tcp,pop-3=
tcp,
pop3=tcp,pop=tcp,pop3s=tcp,imap=tcp,imap2=tcp,imap3=tcp,imap4=tcp,imaps=tcp,
nntp
=tcp,nntps=tcp,ldap=tcp,ldaps=tcp,rsync=tcp,bbd=tcp,clamd=tcp,oratns=tcp,qmt
p=tc
p,qmqp=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,iostat,netstat,tempe
ratu
re,apache,bind,sendmail,nmailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbpro
xy,h
obbitd,otsp::1"

GRAPHS="la,disk:disk_part:5,memory,users,vmstat,iostat,tcp.http,tcp,netstat,
temp
erature,ntpstat,apache,bind,sendmail,nmailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen
,bbt
est,bbproxy,hobbitd,otsp::1"

But this also failed to provide a solution.

I am running Hobbit Monitor 4.0.3 on Solaris 9

Can anyone give me some tips on what to try next to get my graph to appear ?
Suggested further reading ?

Regards

Paul