[hobbit] hobbit 4.1.1 - client ownership question

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 16 22:45:06 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:41:35PM +0200, Peter Welter wrote:
> I just installed on a Linux (sles9) testbox using the 'rpm
> -rebuild'-option on Hobbit 4.1.1 from a src-distro. I don't know if I
> should perform this option as root or as user hobbit?  I tried both
> and finally decided to only use the root-made-version.

It shouldn't matter what userid builds the rpm-package. I cannot
recall if the 4.1.1 source-rpm did some stuff during the build that
requires root-privs.

The general recommendation for building rpm-packages is to do the
build as a normal userid.

> Is there a better way using the already available config-file in the
> src-distro where you can change the ownership of the apache run-user
> from apache to wwwrun (sles9)?

Yes. Install the source rpm with "rpm -i hobbit*.src.rpm", then edit
the file /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/hobbit.spec. In that file there is a
"%setup" section which does the Hobbit build configuration - you can
change the HTTPDGID setting from "apache" to "wwwrun", or whatever
other group-id is being used.

Then to build the package, run "rpmbuild -ba
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/hobbit.spec".

> Anyway, the ownership of the client-directory tmp (~hobbit/client/tmp)
> is default root:root which makes it impossible for the client to write
> the needed data. Changing to hobbit:hobbit makes the client run
> smoothly.

The .rpm (and .deb) package build has been overhauled these past few
days, so it should hopefully be a lot better now.

> But what is the way to install the client on several hosts?

A separate client-package without all of the server stuff will
be available from the next version. For now, you can just copy the
full /usr/lib/hobbit/client/ directory over to the other hosts.