[hobbit] System Log Monitoring

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Aug 12 09:14:24 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:21:48PM -0700, Bob Gordon wrote:
> Hello Henrick -
>
> Wondering if you had any kind of time frame for adding system log
> monitoring into the client?  (/var/log/syslog, /var/adm/messages and
> possibly a user configurable one)....

The thing is I don't really know what's the best way to do that.

I guess the log monitoring will need some local configuration,
although I really hate that. But sending entire logs across the wire
every 5 minutes won't work.

Also, I'd really like to have some mechanism for alerting different
people depending on what log-entry triggers an alert. (Same goes for
the "procs" and perhaps "disk" olumns, by the way - but I know how
to implement that).

So ideas and suggestions are welcome.

There *is* a hook in the current client, so that if the client sends
- as part of the client message - a section headed "[msgs]", then this
will be used for the "msgs" column instead of the default "clear"
status. Any "&red" or "&yellow" identifiers will trigger a change of
the color.

There's also a deadcat add-on for log monitoring, that can be run as
a client extension script. You'll need to disable the default Hobbit
client reporting of the "msgs" column, which is not possible in 4.1.1,
but has been added in the current snapshots and upcoming 4.1.2.