[hobbit] hobbitd_client core dumps

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 11 23:14:18 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:04:21PM -0700, Brian Lynch wrote:
> Since my upgrade to 4.1.1, I've had a problem with the hobbitd_client
> crashing at least 3-4 times a day. The core files are generated in
> hobbit/server/tmp and the process is restarted. An alert is also sent under
> the test name 'hobbitd_client'. Here is the stack trace from the latest core
> file. Please note that the server name has been masked after the fact. An
> interesting side note is that it always seems to dump on the same client
> server. Note that the client is running the new Hobbit software.

Ouch, you've uncovered an embarassing bit of sloppy programming.
Forgetting to verify your pointers before using them is bad for
stability. A new snapshot will be done in an hours time, with a set of
fixes for this.

> Also, I recently made a change to increase the max message size
> to 800,000 bytes.

No problem. The current snapshots has bumped the max. size for a
client message to 1 MB, which I think should be adequate for most
systems.