[hobbit] Monitoring filesystems?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 11 12:43:22 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:20:33PM +0800, Vernon Everett wrote:
> Our disaster here has got me thinking about monitoring file systems.
> At present, Hobbit monitors the usage of a file system, but is there a
> way to check if it's there or not.
> Hobbit is quite happy if your NFS or Veritas volume doesn't mount, as
> long as the capacity of what is mounted is within tollerance.
> How can we make it check if the disks are actually mounted?

It would be fairly easy to add a check in the client disk handler
so that you could configure certain filesystems that must be present in
the disk status report.

Right now the client config goes like

   disk /export/home  80 95

which as you say just defines the thresholds. We could add a "required"
keyword after the thresholds and if it's there, then the disk status
will go red if it's not there - same as we do for the process checks.