[hobbit] OSF physical memory, good reference

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Aug 7 11:33:31 CEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:24:35AM +0200, Anton Burkhalter wrote:
> Henrik,
>
> here is a script which produces the following output on Tru64 V5.1B
>
> hobbit at hifpxx31 $ ./memory.sh
> ... ...  "status myhost,my,domaine.memory green Sun Aug  7 10:02:54 MEST
> 2005 Memory OK
>   Memory        Used    Total   Percentage
> &green Physical     1951M    2048M          95%
> &green Swap         1553M    8192M          18% "

Thanks, but I'd really like to see what the "swapon -s" output looks
like. This script works fine for a client that generates the status
messages itself, but it's too heavy for the Hobbit client design.

(My idea with the Hobbit client is to have as little "intelligence"
in the client as possible - I prefer to do very little processing of
the data on the client, and just forward all of the raw output to the
Hobbit server. That lets the admin see exactly what the system
says about itself - sometimes these commands report things that
don't show up in the interpreted data used for the Hobbit status
messages.  E.g. the "vmstat -P" output on OSF has a detailed break-down
of how the memory is used, which might be useful when you get a
memory-alert and need to know WHY all of the memory is gone.
Instead of having to login to the box and run commands to figure it out,
you can dig into the raw client-data which is available directly in
Hobbit, and get the information you need. The fact that it also lets
you centralize the alert configuration and potentially do some
event correlation between different systems is just an added bonus).