[hobbit] Comments wanted - OK to drop BB support in Hobbit?

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Thu Apr 21 18:11:10 CEST 2005

> > Well, I don't see any problem with this, but I would like to see bbclient
> > compatibility remain. I don't think hobbit yet has the right amount of
> > client tests to be able to ignore what BB has. ie, even just the standard BB
> > client works better than the current hobbit version (not that I've tried it,
> > since you keep telling us it doesn't work)... but add to that all the stuff
> > on www.deadcat.net, and, well... you know, thats a lot to try and
> > replicate...
>
> Losing deadcat stuff would be a bad thing.  I guess that's part
> of breaking away.  Hobbit will just need to spring something
> up like deadbunny or some other typical pet for a Hobbit.

I don't see a problem with breaking BB compatibility either.  One of the best things about BB is deadcat and the amount of useful extensions it contains (and how easy it is to upload and share extensions).

The most popular BB extensions will be converted for use with Hobbit, eg. bb-central, bb-mrtg, LARRD ;) etc

It would be great if a guide was produced outlining how to convert a BB script into Hobbit format.  ie. to send a request to BB you need x, to send it to hobbit you need to change the format to y.

That, and a place to store your own hobbit extensions.

So, short term I see BB clients still working until the Hobbit client becomes as functional, then it would be fine to cut BB scripts off (with some sort of migration path mapped out).

Craig Cook
--
Systems Monitoring Consulting and Support Services
http://www.cookitservices.com