[hobbit] Question about dns test

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Apr 18 14:47:51 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 17:04 +0200, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 09:28:22AM -0500, Lowery, Michael wrote:
>
> > I guess I don't understand the test.  I was hoping that for any host, I
> > could perform a lookup of its own A record on the dns servers of my
> > choosing (or at least use the dns servers from resolv.conf).  The host
> > where I've placed the DNS test is not a DNS server, but I would like to
> > verify that it's "A" record does exist.
>
> OK, that's a different kind of test. The "dns" test is designed to
> verify that a DNS server is running on the host that has this test
> defined.

But you have made it extensible enough to do what he wants.  I check my
records using this syntax:
0.0.0.0         ae-dns3.electric.ci.austin.tx.us        #
dig=SOA:austinenergy.com,SOA:electric.ci.austin.tx.us

Yes, his DNS servers might end up with a rather long list, but the
ability to see if a particular record is resolvable is present.