New enable/disable tool ready for testing

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Apr 14 15:53:02 CEST 2005

I've spent the past couple of days working on the enable/disable code,
in an attempt to get rid of the maint.pl Perl script.

I have something now that I believe works well, so if you feel like
trying it out I've generated a patch for you against Hobbit 4.0.2. It
is available at http://www.hswn.dk/beta/maintenance-feature.patch

Installing is the usual:

    cd hobbit-4.0.2
    patch -p0 </tmp/maintenance-feature.patch
    make
    stop Hobbit
    make install (as root)
    start Hobbit

My solution works somewhat differently than the old "maint.pl" script:
The enable/disable functionality is no longer a separate webpage
listing all hosts; instead, this function is moved to each hosts'
"info" column page. I did this because I have about 2000 hosts, so the
list of all hosts was practically unusable in my setup. You can see
how it looks on the demo site http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/ - just pick
one of the "info" buttons.

You can of course disable tests (a single one, some of them, or all of
them); you can re-enable tests that have been disabled; you can
schedule a disable to happen at a later time; and you can cancel
scheduled disables if they are no longer needed.

The scheduled disabling is handled internally in the Hobbit daemon, so
you no longer need "cron" running to handle it. I've never been fond
of allowing my CGI scripts to run at-jobs from a security
perspective...