[hobbit] acknowledgment for a yellow alert doesn't seem to work

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at mcclatchy.com
Thu Apr 7 19:29:00 CEST 2005

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:09:09AM -0400, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
>
>>Do the cookies have a lifespan or a one-time use policy?
>

> Yes, they are only valid for 30 minutes after they've been generated.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I was under the impression that a cookie
was valid as long as the alert remained in that state or the ack period
was still valid, no matter how long that was.

This seems to explain why I couldn't ack the yellow alert I mentioned at
the beginning of this thread.  I'm sure I didn't try to acknowledge the
alert until a couple of hours after it first came through, and the
alerts aren't sent unless the condition persists for more than 45mins,
and resends are every hour.  So the cookie must've gone stale by then.

> Could you try the attached patch ? If causes hobbitd to log if it
> receives an ack-message that is discarded because the cookie was not
> valid.

Done.  I'll let report back with my findings.

> Also, if you want to check what the current cookie value is, you can
> run
>
>    bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard host=HOSTNAME test=TESTNAME fields=hostname,testname,cookie"

Very useful command.  I've added it to my notes.  ;)

Tom