[hobbit] trends columns all turned purple

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Apr 2 13:39:39 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:51:45PM +0000, David Gore wrote:
> Yes one core file:
>
> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> find . -name core
> ./tmp/core
> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> file tmp/core
> tmp/core:       ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'hobbitd'
> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> ls -al tmp/core
> -rw-------    1 hobbit   other     8322084 Apr  1 03:27 tmp/core
>
> I checked to make sure the lines were correct in maint.pl.  I am
> reinstalling 4.0.1, again and will let you know how it goes.

OK, so it does dump core.

To get some more info about this, you need the core file *and* the
hobbitd binary that generated it. Then run

   $ gdb bin/hobbitd tmp/core
   [messages from gdb]
   gdb> bt

to load the core file and the hobbitd binary into gdb (the GNU
debugger), and the the "bt" command will provide a call trace of what
happened when the program crashed, that is the first piece of
information that is needed to find the bug.