Re: [xymon] smtp/smtps tests against postfix generate errors on server

On 11/20/2010 7:19 PM, Xymon User in Richmond wrote:
The test is in netservices.c.  You could try patching in a HELO before the
MAIL command.  Or check postfix's main.cf for reject_unauth_pipelining
directive.  Not sure what removing it might result in for everything else.
  The "feature" of logging this for every occurrence appears to have been
introduced in 2.6.

I do have that in my configuration. It's an important part of spam fighting, and it's something that I am not willing to turn off. Many spam clients will just send the entire SMTP conversation at once, for speed. That directive keeps those clients from being able to get through.

The real problem is *not* the missing HELO. It's caused by Xymon sending the QUIT before the server has responded. I tried a manual session where I sent MAIL, then after it responded, sent QUIT. The message was not logged.

Thanks,
Shawn