Vmwares has some perl/Python packades for managin esx, you could probably use those and à ext script for xymon to check the esx status..

/Daniel

Skickat frÃn min iPhone

25 okt 2010 kl. 07:21 skrev Dave Garaway<dave (at) dgaraway.com>:

Thanks for the reply. Is there any tricks to getting the client install and running on the ESX hosts?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vernon Everett"<everett.vernon (at) gmail.com>
To: xymon (at) xymon.com
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:34:32 PM
Subject: Re: [xymon] ESX 4.1

Hi Dave

This question pops up every few months or so. I even asked it myself once upon a time.
The short, but unfortunately incorrect answer is that you can install the Red Hat client in the service console. It is after all, a Linux variant.
However, this monitors only the service console, which is itself, only a VM, so it gives you almost nothing about the general health of the system as a whole.

You can install the Xymon client into each VM, in which case, you simply use the appropriate client for the installed OS. But again, this will only give an indication of the health of the VM, not the entire host server.

At one point, when called upon to monitor ESX, I started trying to do some interesting stuff with SNMP using Devmon, but I moved on to a different project, so I never completed it.
I did however post to the list what I had managed to do, and hoped somebody else would have picked up where I left off. As far as I am aware, nobody did. :-(
NOTE : I am more than happy to be proven wrong on this point. :-)
Scan the list for postings from me from about 12 to 18 months ago. It might come up with something which may prove useful.

Unless somebody takes the time to come up with an ESX specific client, or does some magic with SNMP, your only hope is to install clients into every VM.

Regards
Vernon