Re: [hobbit] Debian Packaging

Re: Shawn Heisey 2008-10-14 <48F513CF.9090401 (at) elyograg.org>
> This email is intended for Christoph Berg, the guy who's packaged hobbit
> 4.2 for the next Debian version and etch-backports, but I thought others
> might be interested.  Keep in mind for this message that I am referring
> to this specific source package, not the debian directory included in
> Henrik's original source.

Hi Shawn,

Cc'ing me in mails like that makes it a bit earlier for me to actually
spot the mail. I only found it now when browsing the hobbitmon-devel
list archives...

> I haven't done an in-depth study, but I've noticed that most of what's
> in the allinone patch is not included in this packaging effort.  When I

Right. The reason I had decided not to apply this patch to the Debian
package is that it is just a big blob. There are some separate patches
for individual features/bugfixes, but it also includes random other
fixes. It is also not versioned. There is no real way to track which
particular bug is fixed in what instance.

The publically available svn repository is a big step forward as now
there's a way to see the diffs and log messages for changes. I am
working on uploading a new svn snapshot to the experimental branch of
Debian, but have some lose ends left before the next upload.

The next Debian release (5.0, Lenny) will release with the current
4.2.0 packages. Of course, there will be backports of future packages
for Lenny.

> apply the allinone patch against the source tree after debian/rules
> applies its patches, only two of the patches fail to apply - the one for
> ./hobbitd/rrd/do_ncv.c is already applied, and the one for

That one was pulled in to fix a feature I needed.

> ./hobbitd/wwwfiles/menu/menu_items.js.DIST fails because this file
> doesn't exist.  In fact, the enture hobbitd/wwwfiles/menu directory is
> empty.

As said in the other mails, the JS code used in the current menu
doesn't have a license that Debian thinks is free software. If I
remember correctly I had sent the replacement to the mailing list back
then, but it didn't get included in the official releases yet. I'll
give it another try.

Christoph
--
cb (at) df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/