RE: [hobbit] Solaris clients don't report

Hi Brian

From memory, SuSE comes with almost every port and service blocked or off by default.
I do not believe hobbit requires any unix services to be running - it does its own thing, however, you will need to make sure the ports are open.
Even with telnet deactivated, you should still be able to telnet to the appropriate port - 1984 in this case.

Snoop is your friend. I think it's tcpdump on SuSE, but it has been many years since I touched a SuSE installation, so I could be wrong.

Cheers
     Vernon

________________________________
From: Brian Catlin [mailto:bcatlin (at) gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 4 November 2008 10:16 AM
To: hobbit (at) hswn.dk
Subject: RE: [hobbit] Solaris clients don't report

I have similar issues on SuSE SLES 10 servers and vms.  The processes are, no firewalls.  This is a security server set, so a lot of services are turned off .  I cant telnet on port 1984 just fine, coming back - there is no telnetd enabled...  My question is = what, if any network services are required from the server to have hobbit communications work.  I have had absolutely no difficulty with my sun servers, even coming through the firewall from the DMZ.

Anyone have this info please?

thanks

lurch (at) inorbit.com