Re: [hobbit] Moving to new Hobbit server

On 2/28/06, ZanDAhaR <allan (at) zandahar.net> wrote:
> Ok cool so basically the graphs stop updating if theyre NQR after the move,
> I guess thats pretty effortless to test, move a host onto the new box and
> come back in a day and see what happens I suppose.

I think you could find out sooner than that - just copy an rrd over to
the new system and try to dump it:

     rrdtool dump datafile.rrd

If you get XML, it's probably all good.  If it complains, you need to
do the export at the original host and import it on the new host.  I
just copied an rrd over from a Sparc system to an x86 system, and
rrdtool dump tells me:

   *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x0804a170 ***
   Abort

whereas doing the same with a locally-created rrd I get a stream of
xml.  Likewise, going back to the original system I can dump the
original file just fine.

Ralph Mitchell