Re: [hobbit] Difficulty with CPU/disk/procs columns

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:37:27PM -0500, Greg Larkin wrote:

> First of all, let me say - Hobbit is great!  I set aside some hours
> yesterday to get things set up, and it's working really well.

Thanks :-)

> The one problem I'm having is that I can't get the CPU/disk/procs columns to
> display for the client I'm monitoring.
>
> **** **** bb-hosts **** ****
> 192.168.1.240 Gregory-Larkins-Computer.local # BBDISPLAY BBPAGER BBNET bbd http://localhost/ ssh smtp ftp
>
> 204.8.45.68 www.sourcehosting.net # CLIENTNAME:patches http://www.sourcehosting.net/
> **** **** ******** **** ****

Try "CLIENT:patches" instead of CLIENTNAME. This is probably just one of
those easy-to-make mistakes, but if in doubt I'd recommend
double-checking your syntax in the config-files against the docs in
the bb-hosts man page. Especially for bb-hosts, because you can put
anything in there and Hobbit will just ignore it silently (this is
on purpose, to allow for custom tests being configured through
bb-hosts).

> The client name looks OK to me, and the messages are getting through the
> firewall as far as I know.
>
> I ran ktrace on the Mac OS X machine to make sure that the client messages
> are received, and it looks like they are, but what file should the msg.txt
> data be written to?  I've looked in the data subdirectory, but haven't found
> it yet.  I would guess that's related to my problem.

No, the client messages aren't written anywhere - Hobbit keeps all of
the changing status information in memory. The only place on disk you'll
find some remnant of the information is in the
~hobbit/data/tmp/hobbitd.chk file; it is updated every 5 minutes and
contains a snapshot of what hobbitd currently has in memory. It is
used when Hobbit restarts, to provide an immediate full status until
all of the statuses have been updated.