Re: [hobbit] Hobbit Sensitivity lowered?

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:20:30AM -0600, Chris Wopat wrote:

I switched from BB to hobbit about a month ago and have been generally happy. One thing that's "different" is that Hobbit seems to be more sensitive to services timing out, such as during an http check.

The default timeout for network tests in Hobbit is 10 seconds. You can
change it via the --timeout=N option (N is in seconds) for bbtest-net in hobbitlaunch.cfg. See the bbtest-net(1) man-page...

BB uses a fixed 20 second timeout.

Thanks, I will bump this to, say, 15 and test. I was misreading the graphs in the hobbit pages at times to be ms, when really it's seconds.

How many tests do you run ? (See the status in the "bbnet" column for
your Hobbit server). It's a well-known problem that Hobbit can actually
flood some networks/firewalls with connection setups, resulting in some tests showing up as failed one moment, and OK a few seconds after.
You might want to lower the number of concurrent tests that bbtest-net
runs via the --concurrency=N option - the default is 256.

According to bb-hosts, it looks like 290 hosts, with an average of 2-3 tests per (many are just single pings, about 80 have http checks and a few others). I'm unsure what you speak of when you say "bbnet column"- in the html result pages, or in server/etc/* ?

Is there an appropriate way to do this without hacking code and finding the timeout period?

Read The Fine Manual :-) You'll find them on your Hobbit server webpages, in the "Help"->"Hobbit man-pages" section.

Aye. I'll try the first timeout to be a bit longer, then tweak the concurrent tests if need be.

Thanks,
--Chris