[Xymon] Nginx - performance test?

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Mar 28 02:04:19 CEST 2023

Great work John.

Personally, I'm not interested an Nginx integration in particular, not
having any Nginx installs. But given the relative stability (staleness?) of
the Xymon codebase, I wonder if our focus should be on adding plugins
rather than trying to modify the core C code and seeking to have patches
accepted for a future release that may never happen.

As Xymon is relatively modular, it's usually not too difficult to hook into
various points in the system, to augment some parts of Xymon. In this case,
things are more complicated because I don't think there's a way to hook
into the xymonnet process. So the only solution is really to just have a
xymonnet-like probe that reports as if it were xymonnet - much like most
BB/Hobbit/Xymon add-ons do, including Erwan's perl script. The only problem
with this approach with xymonnet siblings is that it doesn't scale well -
particularly when written in Perl, because it has a heavy start-up overhead
(Python is likely much better in this regard). So plug-ins that are
persistent (sitting idle between each probes and looping) rather than
one-shot would tend to be more efficient, especially these days with
RAM being massively cheaper than in the olden days of BB/Hobbit.