[Xymon] what IS the "DNS" check in xymon?

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Feb 16 03:30:48 CET 2022

The dns/dig test is essentially doing "dig @<hostname> <hostname>" or
for each entry in the comma-separated dig=..,..,.. list. If the requests
all return valid results (NOERROR status, and one or more answer records),
the status is green. Xymon also times how long all of the lookups take to
complete, so that a graph of response times can be displayed.

Yes AAAA works. The query type is matched against a lookup list defined as
per below (from xymonnet/dns2.c). This includes AAAA. Not all valid record
types are supported, but the DNS test isn't really supposed to be
exercising a range of record types, just testing that the DNS server can
respond to some typical query and give a valid response, so support for all
possible types is not warranted.

Cheers
Jeremy

static const struct nv types[] = {