[Xymon] what IS the "DNS" check in xymon?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 15 17:28:43 CET 2022

'tis in the man page for hosts.cfg, but I'll paste it here for ready
reference:

*dns*
     Simple DNS test. It will attempt to lookup the A record for the
hostname of the DNS server.

Which means the test performed by xymonnet is attempting to look up an
A-record for the name "walkie" and failing. It is doing something like:

    dig +short +notcp A walkie @10.24.38.132

Either change your hostname to a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN)
(e.g. walkie.foo.bar.com), or change your DNS test to use the long-form:

*dns=TYPE:lookup[,TYPE:lookup...]*
     The default DNS tests will attempt a DNS lookup of the DNS' servers
own hostname. You can specify the hostname to lookup on a DNS server by
listing it on each test.

That would make the right side of your line look like:
    dns=A:walkie.foo.bar.com

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration