[Xymon] Stale alerts not being purged

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Dec 27 18:46:40 CET 2022

I've been forced to implement the following on a daily christmas tree
timer :/

TODAY=$( date +%Y-%m-%d )
logfile=/var/log/xymon/alert.log
checkpointfile=/var/lib/xymon/tmp/alert.chk

z=$( mktemp -p /tmp $0.XXXX )
trap "rm -rf $z" exit

# Restarting the daemon is the only way I have found
# to generate the 'Stale' lines in the log file
systemctl restart xymon
sleep 120

# find the stale hosts reported today in the log file
# build a file containing 'delete' commands for sed
egrep "^$TODAY ............... Stale alert " ${logfile} |cut -d " " -f 6 \

# Delete the stale hosts from the checkpoint file while xymond is stopped
systemctl stop xymon && sed -i -f ${z} ${checkpointfile} && systemctl
start xymon

If anyone can offer any ideas into /why/ my xymon isn't purging dead
alerts, I'd love to hear them.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration