[Xymon] SMTP checks

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Sep 29 14:42:18 CEST 2021

Ian

I believe the postfix warning is because there's a "mail" command before a
"helo" or "ehlo" command. Pipelining is when Postfix checks to see that the
mail client is waiting for the response to one command, before sending the
next command, rather than just sending a "pipeline" of commands without
checking the results of each. Spamming robots do this kind of thing. You
can either modify the postfix configuration (see reject_unauth_pipelining),
or adjust the [smtp] protocol to not start sending a mail message. I'd
suggest sending "ehlo xymonnet\r\nquit\r\n".

What triggers the smtp check is:
a) you have "smtp" on the host's line in hosts.cfg, and
b) you have xymonnet being launched every 5 minutes, which reads hosts.cfg,
sees "smtp" and looks up the [smtp] section in protocols.cfg

When there's a test failure, xymonnet-again runs every minute and does a
rapid re-check of any failed tests. So a test that goes red can go green
again a minute later. In fact, xymonnet and xymonnet-again don't seem to be
synchronised at all, so I guess it's possible for xymonnet to run
immediately after xymonnet has finished.