[Xymon] SMTP checks

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Sep 29 09:54:17 CEST 2021

Ian

[disclaimer: I don't use the smtp check]

I'm wondering if the "connect timeout" relates not to the TCP connection
but the SMTP conversation. I would do a packet capture during the
interaction between xymonnet and the mail server, and see if it closely
matches your telnet interaction, or deviates.

The smtp check is defined in protocols.cfg

[smtp]
   send "mail\r\nquit\r\n"
   expect "220"
   options banner
   port 25

This expects a 220 in the response after the mail\r\nquit\r\n is sent:

'*It will then expect a response beginning with "220".*' (my emphasis on
the word "then")

Your interaction shows 221 instead of 220, after the mail/quit strings. But
if this is the problem, then protocols.cfg has been wrong for many, many
years. I suspect (contrary to what I infer from the man page) that "expect"
looks in the strings for the whole interaction, not just the ones after the
"send" string is sent. In which case, the protocols.cfg entry for smtp
should work fine.

However, you might like to test removing the "expect" or altering to look
for 221 instead of 220.

Cheers
Jeremy