[Xymon] exclude devices from temp check?

Christoph Zechner zechner at vrvis.at
Thu Sep 2 06:11:30 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 31/08/2021 17:31, Adam Thorn wrote:
> On 30/08/2021 14:55, Christoph Zechner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using the "temp" check from xymon's plugins (on Debian) and
>> wanted to ask if it was possible to excluce certain devices from the
>> check. We have "problems" with an USB stick, which is permanently
>> plugged into one of our machines and which does not have any
>> temperature sensors or readings, but sometimes xymon decides it now
>> has somewhere around 200 °C, which is of course not possible.
>
> It looks like the 'temp' script just parses the output of hddtemp to
> produce its report, so I think the approach is to make hddtemp ignore
> the drive. I think that, by default, hddtemp assumes that a drive
> temperature is reported by smart attribute 194. Running "hddtemp
> /dev/sda"  on a drive I know is supported, I'm told:
>
> /dev/sda: ST500NM0011: 28°C
>
> That drive model doesn't look to match any of the regexes defined in the
> first column of my /etc/hddtemp.db so if I add a line to that file:
>
> "ST500NM0011" 0 C "ST500NM0011"
>
> (where I think the first column is a regex matching the drive model, the
> fourth is any human-friendly description, and the 0 means "not
> supported") then when I run the 'temp' xymon script, the line for
> /dev/sda switches to clear rather than green and it's excluded from the
> rrd data.

Great approach, thank you. I entered my USB stick's data into the file
and hope this changes things. By default, it shows up in xymon as

"drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature sensor. (SanDisk)"

but every now and then it will trigger an error with temperatures above
150 °C.

> (Or: maybe the problem is just that your drive uses something other than
> smart attribute 194 to record the temperature? If so change the "0" to
> whichever attribute number is the right one)

Since it is a typical USB stick, it does not record temperature and all
I get from hddtemp is

"SanDisk:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature sensor."

Thanks again, I hope this solves my problem!

Cheers
Christoph