[Xymon] ports check for a VIP...

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Oct 6 06:13:34 CEST 2021

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 23:15, Ian Diddams via Xymon <xymon at xymon.com> wrote:

> intrigiingly the actual output on that combo check shows
>

> (wp-vldyn-estrela.ports)||(wp-vldyn-rafeiro.ports) = (0-0-1)||(0-0-1) = 1

 <snip>

> i.e. its all showing clear for the individual lines which are also
> separated where the hostname includes a hyphen...  is that all correct ?
>
> I don't think so. From the manpage of combo.cfg:

"Note: If the expression involves hostnames with a character that is also
an operator - e.g. if you have a host "t1-router-newyork.foo.com" with a
dash in the hostname - then the operator-character must be escaped with a
backslash '\' in the expression, or it will be interpreted as an operator.
E.g. like this:
 nyc.conn = (t1\-router\-nyc.conn || backup\-router\-nyc.conn)"

That's why it thinks you have hostnames like "wp" and "vldyn". It's almost
certainly not testing what you want it to be testing.

Cheers
Jeremy