[Xymon] ports check for a VIP...

Christoph Zechner zechner at vrvis.at
Fri Oct 1 17:08:00 CEST 2021

On 01/10/2021 16:21, Ian Diddams wrote:
> that's interesting
>
> but presumably it would require something like
>
> VIP V
> system A
> system B

My example is a bit different than your setup, since I'm only checking
for connection and I'm doing this from two different xymon proxies which
both report to the main xymon server. I suspect you have to define it
like you wrote, yes.

> V.ports = (V.conn && A.ports) ||  (V.conn && B.ports)

Do you also need the connection status as well? "ports" and "conn" are
two different colums, I don't think mixing them would be wise?

> but that would need A & B reporting on ports (ie 3306) - but one of
> those will still always be red though?

That's why you need the "||", it's an or, so as long as one of your two
hosts is green, your overall status is green.

> I suspect Ive not understood something!

I don't think so, I fear, my example was not really that great, sorry.
As I said, I've never tried it with a ports check, only connection,
which works like a charm.

Cheers
Christoph