[Xymon] Hosts with multiple names - separate page for all names?

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 28 11:08:04 CEST 2021

On 25/06/2021 22:02, John Horne wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-06-25 at 18:51 +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Hi John, (reply to list being held until the list moderator can review
>> it for approval.)
>>
>> Try Administration -> FInd Host, this field searches host entry name as
>> well as the NAME: tag.  I always uncheck jump to page so I get a list,
>> even if only one host matches.
>>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Unfortunately it shows a list but only their colloquial name. We don't use the
> NAME tag, but would have to use the strict name in the tag. The problem then
> is that the status pages then show the strict name and not the colloquial one.
> Also it seems that the findhost option shows the tag (srict) name, and not the
> colloquial one as well.

 From man hosts.cfg,

COMMENT:Host comment

Adds a small text after the hostname on the web page. This can be used
to describe the host, without completely changing its display-name as
the NAME: tag does. If the comment includes whitespace, it must be in
double-quotes, e.g. COMMENT:"Sun web server"

...might do what you want.

Or, you might be able to:

1. define two separate pages in hosts.cfg called "strict name list" and
"colloquial name list" or whatever
2. have the identical list of hosts in both, but set NAME on the copy of
the hosts on the second page to override how they get displayed on the web.

You might also want to set the 'prefer' tag on the hosts in one or the
other page (again, see man hosts.cfg) though I've not used that tag myself.

Adam