[Xymon] Monitoring for process runs too long

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Jun 23 02:51:32 CEST 2021

Robert

If the process creates a PID file, and cleans up when done, you could
monitor the age of that file, and alert when it's beyond a threshold.

One problem with this approach is that it requires a clientlocal.cfg entry
to collect the PID file's metadata, and it's only the last Xymon server's
clientlocal.cfg that gets used. (By "last" I mean which is listed last in
the client's XYMSRV setting.) If the third party happens to have added your
Xymon server last, then you might get this to work just fine, but that
situation might change in the future if the client is reconfigured to put
another Xymon server last.

Cheers
Jeremy