[Xymon] smtps checks seem to always fail

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Jun 16 04:46:56 CEST 2021

Benjamin

Firstly, you'll see 220 at the very start, and then 250 after sending EHLO
or HELO. So you were correct the first time, with "expect 220".

Secondly, the mail server uses STARTTLS, so it's not doing encryption at
the point that the EHLO and QUIT strings are sent. The "ssl" option in
protocols.cfg assumes SSL/TLS is present during the handshake, immediately
after the TCP connection is established, rather than after issuing the
"send" string. Try removing the "ssl" option from protocols.cfg and see if
that helps.

Cheers
Jeremy