[Xymon] Is Xymon Alive?

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Tue Jun 8 23:39:06 CEST 2021

Yes, john, you're right... Things have changed on 20 years. But even 20
years ago capable admins only exposed what needed to be exposed. Some
exposed everything to the raw internet.  Did you do that then?   I know
I don't now and never did.  I knew better but some call me a control
freak too.

Moving on, let's ACTUALLY LOOK at the logfetch man page, shall we?

*logfetch* is part of the Xymon client. It is responsible for collecting
data from logfiles, and other file-related data, which is then sent to
the Xymon server for analysis.

logfetch uses a configuration file, which is automatically retrieved
from the Xymon server. There is no configuration done locally.

     So... It has to be configured... FROM the server and it comes with
this warning:

Do *NOT* install logfetch as suid-root.

There is no way that logfetch can check whether the configuration file
it uses has been tampered with, so installing logfetch with suid-root
privileges could allow an attacker to read any file on the system by
using a hand-crafted configuration file.

In fact, logfetch will attempt to remove its own suid-root setup if it
detects that it has been installed suid-root.

While you point out that out of the box it's not configured --noexec...
Out of the box, it's not configured at all!

So it's kind of up to the admin to:

a.) Actually turn it on

and

b.) Assure it's been secured for noexec... It already makes an attempt
to protect itself from suid stuff if it can and thereby protect against
arbitrary commands.

But that kind of applies to any installation doesn't it?  And I know I
get kind of testy when someone who doesn't know my system attempts to
override my management.