"noconn" configuration feature oddity ...

Ian Diddams didds3 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 13:53:01 CEST 2020

A colleague and I noticed a feature of xymon last week, and tested it across a few version from 4.3.12 to 4.3.17   [ upgrading etc etc is not a trivial matter in these environments so its meaningless to just suggest "upgrade asap" - although see [1] for general feedback etc ].

If a new host is added to hosts.cfg with a noconn configuration in a new group or page configuratiopn

eg

page test Test
group-compress <H3>Test</H3>
4.5.6.7 test #  noconn

that server NEVER appears in the webpage as expected, although the new group does appear albeit then empty

If it is introduced without that noconn parementer then it does as expected appear.  Then adding noconn to it subsequently does indeed drop the conn column and reproting then continues as normal.

We have also found that specifying noping instead of noconn does include the server in the webpage with a white face in the conn column - ie it does get included, so is maybe a work round  at least)

However...

 adding

4.5.6.7 test #  noconn

to an already existing group/page - that server DOES get listed but with no subsequent tests against it - the line remains empty
This would appear to be a feature of xymon Ive not come accrioss in 9+ years of using it.

[1] Anybody found any other "fixes" to be ablwe to sepcify noconn from the outset?

I've googled but nothing appears to match that - though that could just be my rubbish googling skills...

UPDATE:  deeper wierdness...  if i add a eg ssh test to that hosts.cfg line ...  then the server DOES get added...

cheers
ian