[Xymon] Displaying results when the DNS FQDN is different from uname -n

Stephen Carville (xymon list) scarville at lereta.com
Wed May 20 03:17:06 CEST 2020

I have several new machines that do not display local information in
XYMon. Part of that is the FQDN differs from the name returned by uname
-n. For example apg-rdtx-nde-01.lereta.net thinks it is just plain
apg-rdtx-nde-01.  I verified this by capturing the clientlog sent to the
server.

I tried the obvious trick of putting a CLIENT: entry into host.cfg but
to no avail. That works for a couple of other nodes where the name
returned by uname -n is different than the DNS name we know them by so I
am mystified as to why it won't work here

Example hosts.cfg entry:

10.1.224.187  apg-rdtx-nde-01.lereta.net  # ssh CLIENT:apg-rdtx-nde-01

As I said above, I captured the traffic from one of the clients and I
can see that it is sending the information to XYMon.  However, I cannot
find where it is being stored if at all.  Normally, I look in
/var/xymon/data/hostdata/<servername> but it doesn't appear to be there.

Is there a way to make this work?

--
Stephen