[Xymon] [External] FW: alerts

Scott Birl scott.birl at temple.edu
Mon May 18 17:09:13 CEST 2020

> From: Hyppolite, Jean <Jean.Hyppolite at umm.edu>
> Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 10:52 AM
> To: Scott Birl <scott.birl at temple.edu>
> Subject: RE: [External] [Xymon] FW: alerts
>
> Hi
>
> Do you mean this rule below
>
> HOST=*
>         MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=conn,disk,files,memory,svcs REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED

Yes, that's a good start.  Any other rules that apply to that server?

There's a few things missing that you may want to explicitly set: DURATION, REPEAT, and TIME, all of which are explained in alerts.cfg.  That should help curb the excess alerts, and possibly prevent emails from being sent from flapping.

Another suggestion is to break down that rule into multiple rules, ie:
HOST=*
        MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=conn REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED
        MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=disk REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED
        MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=files REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED
        MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=memory REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED
        MAIL mailto:myemail at mymail.com FORMAT=TEXT SERVICE=svcs REPEAT=20M COLOR=red RECOVERED

That would allow you tweak the settings for individual services.