[Xymon] Terabithia or compile

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Fri Jun 19 05:05:28 CEST 2020

I think there's an historical reason for the ntp package being required.

The xymonnet binary uses ntpdate (via NTPDATE defined in xymonserver.cfg)
to be able to monitor the "ntp" service. Specifically it execs "ntpdate -u
-q -p 1 <host IP>". The code in do_net.c is written around the output of
ntpdate, so chronyc couldn't be used as an alternative without some
serious munging of the output. So for a base Xymon server deployment,
ntpdate is generally required. [Actually, Xymon can use sntp instead of
ntpdate, but this isn't actually relevant to the current situation.]

I seem to recall, on earlier (prior to v6) versions of RHEL, that the
ntpdate binary used to be part of the ntp (or xntp or xntpd) package. This
is probably where the dependency on "ntp" came from.

Installing (the package) ntp also brings in ntpdate (as a prerequisite),
but installing just ntpdate should not install ntp. This seems to be the
case for RHELv7 and v6. I'd say the spec file should match %{?rhel} between
6 and 7 and do "Requires: ntpdate".