[Xymon] Xymon Dependancies configuration.

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sun Jun 7 00:16:48 CEST 2020

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Ralph M wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

>> router

>> has

>> router.example.com/conn)

>> ssh.

>> are

>> went
>> hundred

>>> You could write an external script to connect to the router and "do
>> stuff"
>>> if the connection fails.
>>>
>>> For example, if you're checking the router every 5 minutes, when it fails
>>> you could send a "disable" message to Xymon for the list of things behind
>>> the router, with a 10 minute lifetime.  That'll turn off alerts for all
>>> those devices.  As long as the router continues to fail, keep on sending
>>> disables with 10 min lifetime, essentially extending the original
>>> lifetime.  Once the router recovers, the disable message will expire up
>>> 10 mins later and those devices will alert or not depending on their next
>>> status.
>>>
>>> I don't have such a script, but it feels like it ought to be fairly
>> trivial
>>> to implement.
>>
>> In preparation for writing a script to do what I need, I have been playing
>> with
>> xymon commands.
>>
>> If I send the following to xymon it appears to be ignoring the lifetime
>> parameter:
>> /usr/bin/xymon 127.0.0.1 "status+10m EMD1-2,example,com.conn clear `date`
>> test message"
>>
>> The above command will send a status message to xymon but is only stays
>> clear for approx
>> 30 seconds. If I am reading the man page correctly it should stay clear
>> for 10 minutes.
>> Does anyone know what I am missing?
>

> Is Xymon pinging that host?  Its message would override your message.  Try
> inventing a whole new column for the testing process, that way you can be
> sure it shouldn't flip state unexpectedly.  Just replace .conn with any
> other string that is not used for a test.

That is what I am seeing. It does not matter if the service is red or green
set it to clear and it switches to red or green in under 30 seconds.
In thinking about this that makes sense. Originally I thought that the message
sent from the xymon command line would override the automatic updates for
whatever the lifetime on the message was set. Obviously I was wrong.

> For example:
>
>     /usr/bin/xymon 127.0.0.1 "status+10m EMD1-2,example,com.tdiehl clear
> `date` test message"
>
> Best to keep it alphanumeric, but apart from that, use any word or random
> string you like.  Bear in mind that the longer the string, the wider the
> display, so you might start running off the edge of your display.  This may
> or may not be important to you now, but if you add enough custom tests, the
> sideways scrolling can be tiresome...  :)

That makes sense but for my purposes I am thinking instead of using clear I
will disable the test. Blue is still better than red. :-)

Thanks for the confirmation and help.

Tom			me at tdiehl.org