[Xymon] Xymon Dependancies configuration.

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri Jun 5 22:37:05 CEST 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, David Boyer wrote:

> Tom,
>         I understand about the tons of msgs.  But, in my environment this
> is usually a firewall issue.  I know this because of the systems behind the
> router/firewall are still able to send data to the xymon server.  It's just
> the xymon server can not get to the systems.  Just some food for thought...

I understand but the problem I am trying to solve is that when for whatever
reason the power/internet goes down and there is no connection for anything
that may or may not be running behind the firewall I do not want/need 100+
alerts. To make matters worse, several of my customers are located within
the same neighborhood, so when one customer goes down, the others follow.

My customers generally have a single internet feed with no backup power.
I originally thought disabling dependent services would be the simple answer.
Although it helps reduce the number of alerts I need to come up with a
different solution to completely eliminate the unnecessary alerts.

Ralph M suggested that I might be able to script something that effectively
does what I want. I am going to explore that as it does not sound to complex.
I just need to find the time to poke at this.

Tom			me at tdiehl.org