[Xymon] Xymon script for linux

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Mon Sep 23 13:46:49 CEST 2019

On 9/22/19 6:31 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 at 10:30, Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org <mailto:bferrell at baywinds.org>> wrote:
>

>     I'm curious how you propose actually using sar data in a client message.  On my system /var/log/sa is 44M of text data.
>

> Yeah, I could have been clearer in describing what I had in mind.
>

>     vmstat (procps) is already used and feeds rrd on the server via the client message; which is a MUCH more compact, long term storage format (The rrds for the same system are
>     only 13M).
>

> If "sar [some options]" can produce equivalent output to (say) "vmstat 300 2", then it's likely to take the same amount of storage and bytes transmitted. But it has the added
> benefit that the same sar output from Solaris and AIX and Linux can all be parsed by the same code on the Xymon server. So the one client-side command to create [vmstat] in the
> client message will be universal across a wide range of OSes. If we can replace [vmstat] in this way, we may be able to do the same for  [netstat] and [iostat] and a few others
> (by using sar with other options). We might also introduce an equivalent to [iostatdisk] and other things that don't yet exist in some OSes' client messages.

Interesting idea... but sa doesn't work like that at all.

sar can collect individualized sets of stats, but the default the cron jobs that come in the sysstat package run sa to collect all system stats at "cron interval". Then it has to
be sliced and diced after the fact.... It's semi non-trivial to extract "just the latest update changes for the stat set you want" to transmit the the server.  Not that it can't be
done, but it's a pain.

SO "just drop sar on... " become "just drop sar and modify it's defaults".  If sar is already there and I'm the admin, I'm going to be a wee touch miffed if someone messes with my
system wide, long term stats collection or creates a duplicate, parallel, space gobbling collection dataset at the client.

vm/io/whatever stat collects a sample and sends just that sample. All storage is at the xymon server  MUCH cleaner even if adding the rare/exotic new thing is harder when they come
up.  BTW, sar on OS X is a way different beast too, so it violates the premise that the same code works.  but *stat works out of the box.

I've not checked other *BSD variants... Yet.