[Xymon] ifconfig and infiniband

Isaac W Traxler traxler at lsu.edu
Thu Oct 3 20:13:45 CEST 2019

I happy to be lucky enough to work on systems that include infiniband cards.  Whenever ifconfig runs, you get the following output:

Ifconfig uses the ioctl access method to get the full address information, which limits hardware addresses to 8 bytes.
Because Infiniband address has 20 bytes, only the first 8 bytes are displayed correctly.
Ifconfig is obsolete! For replacement check ip.
ib0       Link encap:InfiniBand  HWaddr 80:00:00:48:FE:80:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

The first two lines are sent to stderr, hence they wind up in xymonclient.log. May I request that when ifconfig is invoked it have 2>/dev/null appended  (or some better answer) to prevent needless filling of logs?

On that matter, it would be neat if xymon rotated logs and maybe pulled the last N lines of every log as another column so it would be easy to see what messages are being generated locally (or at least an ls -l of the xymon log directory).

Isaac Traxler
LSU/LONI HPC
traxler at lsu.edu, traxler at gmail.com