semop failed, Invalid argument

Rothlisberger, John R. john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Fri Nov 1 13:31:13 CET 2019

I have been battling this semop failed message for a couple of months on multiple servers.  On some servers it is only occasionally, on this particular server it is happened over 90 times in a single day (on multiple occasions).

Then, there are days it runs fine.  I have upgraded to 4.3.30 on this particular server though it has happened using 4.3.21 & 4.3.28.

Reboots do not solve it.

It is so bad that I have a cron script running every 10 minutes looking for the errors in the xymod.log file and restarting Xymon automatically.
Xymond.log:
2019-11-01 11:33:12.197864 Setup complete
2019-11-01 11:45:07.029630 semop failed, Invalid argument
2019-11-01 11:45:07.029669 Dropping message due to semaphore error
2019-11-01 11:45:07.083973 semop failed, Invalid argument
2019-11-01 11:45:07.083982 Dropping message due to semaphore error
....  <hundreds to thousands of these messages>

Ubuntu 16.04LTS
Xymon 4.3.30

Thanks,
John
Upcoming PTO:
John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office