[Xymon] CPU LOAD

Martin Lenko lenko99 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:39:28 CEST 2019

Hi Luca,
the answer is a bit more complex than that, but basically, load 2 on 2 CPU
machine means that the machine is just about able to cope with the load
thrown at it. If the load is higher than the number of CPUs for a longer
period of time, you might have a performance problem.
More detailed explanation here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/194642/understanding-the-load-average-on-linux-and-other-unix-like-systems/

I usually set the warning/yellow threshold to a value slightly higher than
the number of CPUs and the critical/red to twice the number of
warning/yellow value. At least on machines with a small number of CPUs.

I case of 2CPU machine I would set it to:
LOAD 2.5 5.0

Obviously, if you should review the CPU load patterns of your server and
update the LOAD config accordingly to make sure the thresholds are not:
- too low - you might get a lot of false positive alerts
- too high - you might not notice there is something going and the machine
is struggling to cope with the load

Regards,
Martin