[Xymon] Xymon on the Cloud

Isaac W Traxler traxler at lsu.edu
Mon Mar 25 23:36:50 CET 2019

I am currently running my server on a IBM xSeries 336 (dual 2.6 GHz
Pentium 4, 2 GB ram). Below are teh details from the xymonnet page that
show hosts, tests, ... This basically says all tests done by server are
completed within 43 seconds (26 of that is DNS).

xymond report tells me I average 6 incoming status messages a second from
the clients. Load average for this server stays below 0.3 (last 2 days).
For last two days, it totals 94% idle.

In other words, the server does not need much memory or cpu -- especially
if you distribute the tests to clients. Xymon supports central testing as
well as distributed testing. I tend to distribute as much of the testing
as I can/as makes sense (the client runs the test and merely reports
status to server).

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like more info or details.

Statistics:
  Hosts total           :      195
  Hosts with no tests   :       52
  Total test count      :      302
  Status messages       :      299
  Alert status msgs     :        0
  Transmissions         :       10

DNS statistics:
  # hostnames resolved  :      185
  # succesful           :      160
  # failed              :        9
  # calls to dnsresolve :      302

TCP test statistics:
  # TCP tests total     :      153
  # HTTP tests          :       42
  # Simple TCP tests    :      111
  # Connection attempts :      153
  # bytes written       :     6687
  # bytes read          :   319512

TIME SPENT
Event                                    Duration
xymonnet startup                         -
Service definitions loaded                0.009486
Tests loaded                              0.067078
DNS lookups completed                     0.014878
Test engine setup completed               0.009364
TCP tests completed                      12.034578
PING test completed (127 hosts)           1.854515
PING test results sent                    0.001574
Test result collection completed          0.000515
LDAP test engine setup completed          0.000001
LDAP tests executed                       0.000000
LDAP tests result collection completed    0.000001
DNS tests executed                       26.670769
NTP tests executed                        2.997217
RPC tests executed                        0.011561
Test results transmitted                  0.005600
xymonnet completed                        0.004003
TIME TOTAL                               43.681140

--
Isaac Traxler
Storage & Infrastructure Manager
225-578-1923 | traxler at lsu.edu