[Xymon] False procs alert

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Thu Mar 21 19:40:17 CET 2019

That’s interesting. Do you have more than one server pinging?   Or is it a latency issue?

My default sshd monitor is this:
HOST=* EXHOST=%(loc1|loc2)(380esx|win|hnms).*
        PORT    "LOCAL=%([.:]22)$" state=LISTEN TRACK=sshd TEXT=SSHD
        PROC    sshd 1 70 yellow
        PROC    sshd 1 100 red TRACK=sshd "TEXT=ssh daemon (sshd)"

From: Xymon <xymon-bounces at xymon.com> On Behalf Of Walter Rutherford
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:26 PM
To: Scot Kreienkamp <Scot.Kreienkamp at la-z-boy.com>
Cc: Yadvendra kushwaha <yyyadvendra at gmail.com>; xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] False procs alert

This reminds me of an opposite problem we've been seeing. We have a Windows box we're monitoring
which is almost always in the non-green alerts because the CONN check flutters between green/red. The
cycles are always short, sometimes a few minutes but often just a matter of seconds between the reported
failure and recovery. The last was 10 seconds between reported problem and recovery.

Since that's even quicker than the system checks its status I'm sure the problems are false but I'm not sure
why that system, and only that system, is reporting bogus problems.

It's not a critical issue, it happens so fast that it seldom shows up on the main page. But it does clutter the
non-green report when we just want to see if the systems have been healthy overnight. Benign annoyance.

So now it's mostly a curiosity. Has anyone else seen a system report flapping like this?