[Xymon] Debian 9 stretch clients - trends netstat graph bug?

david t0rqd at dafr.us
Mon Mar 18 23:16:09 CET 2019

On 3/18/19 11:11 AM, John Horne wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 10:30 -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
>> This is not just a Debian thing -- it looks like it results from output
>> changes in recent versions of netstat/net-tools (recent Fedora is affected
>> too).
>>
>> I think the easiest fix will be to move to PCRE parsing to catch the
>> differing versions, which is how we're handling the BSDs and some of the
>> esoteric unicies. (Although there's a legacy RHEL3 Linux OS type from back in
>> the day, this is one of the things we'll want to catch centrally moving
>> forward.)
>>
> I was going to take a look at the problem tomorrow. From my very quick look at
> the code I thought it already had support for PCRE, and so hopefully it would
> just require changing the code from a fixed string to a regex to cater for the
> current and new net-tools versions.
>

> John.

I think it's a bigger issue with the netstat command not getting as much
information any longer.

Digging back for old logs, what was generating outbound and retransmits
is shown here:

[date]
Mon Jun 18 09:14:39 PDT 2018
[netstat]
Ip:
     35434 total packets received
     6 with invalid addresses
     0 forwarded
     0 incoming packets discarded
     31540 incoming packets delivered
     31014 requests sent out
     300 outgoing packets dropped
     30 dropped because of missing route
Icmp:

And the output received currently:

[date]
Mon Mar 18 01:23:29 PDT 2019
[netstat]
Ip:
     Forwarding: 2
     20425327 total packets received
     25 with invalid addresses
     0 forwarded
     0 incoming packets discarded
     20335050 incoming packets delivered
     6916589 requests sent out
Icmp:

Clearly, the new tools are NOT collecting the data we need to parse, so
work on changing anything other than the tools directly, or finding
another tool to use, would be pointless.

david